Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Trying Out Something Different

    Last year, I asked my mom (who has been crocheting for years) if she had any crochet magazines or books lying around, because I was looking for new patterns. She let me borrow a huge collection of older patterns she has saved over the years. A lot of them were done with thread, lots and lots of doilies. Some very nice too. Well, at the end of this book were a lot of patterns done with Tunisian Crochet. I had never seen this before, and I thought to myself..."Nah, that's just not for me."


    .....Just like I've always said, "Nah, crochet just isn't for me" haha. I've said that for years, ever since my mom tried to teach me when I was in elementary school. Then I saw amigurumi patterns, decided to give it another try, and I was hooked! (No pun intended! :P)


    Anyways, last week I started thinking of trying out Tunisian Crochet. I don't know why, just all of a sudden I got this urge to try it out. So I went out and got myself a few afghan hooks. I'm so happy I did! It was a little exciting to learn something new, even though I've been crocheting for quite a while. 



    Unfortunately, I haven't found all that many patterns online. I ended up scanning and keeping the patterns from my mom's book, but I gave it back to her. If I remember correctly, most of the Tunisian patterns were for huge blankets, and charts. I prefer to make smaller things. I will make the occasional blanket, but I like things that I can finish faster...Like amigurumi, kitchen things like tawashis, purses, hats, etc. AND if I wanted a chart...I'd so make my own, I'm a huge video game nerd and I need things with game sprites on them...Like Simon Belmont...that would be amazing!



    Seriously, I'd love to make a scarf or something with Simon on it! It would have to be the Original Simon though, new Simon and Alucard would be too hard lol, too many colors for me haha! So I just had to share how fun Tunisian Crochet is. If you've never tried it, I highly recommend going out and getting an afghan hook and trying it out!



No comments:

Post a Comment